Canvas Flower Tutorial & Card Goodness

Monday, April 9, 2012

Hello friends. Today I have some card making goodness to share with you, inspired by Laurie Schmidlin and her card showcased on the CASE Study Challenge Blog. Here's a look at her beautiful card: 



For this week's challenge, I wanted to recreate the floral embellishment, incorporate type, and keep the same color scheme. After gathering my supplies, I created two card variations. Here's the first beauty:






I had too much fun creating this card, especially the canvas flower. I wanted to make at least ten more to add to the card... but I actually practiced a little embellishment self control! 

To make your own card, you'll need a few supplies. Here's what I used:

Cardstock: Bazzill (Raven, Real Teal OP), Paper Cut (White, Vellum)
Stamps: Northwoods (Whimsy Just A Note), Unity Stamp Co (Note to Self), We  R Memory Keepers (A Little Note)
Inks: Distress Ink (Old Paper, Walnut Stain), Distress Stain (Scattered Straw), StazOn (Jet Black)
Inkssentials Ink Blending Tool & Blending Foam
Claudine Hellmuth Sticky-Back Canvas
Embellishments: Craftwork Cards Candi (Newsprint)
Edge Punch: EK Success (Binding Edge)

afjeo

I began by stamping the 'A Little Note' stamp onto vellum. This is a smaller stamp, but for only $1.25, it's a major deal! I stamped the script multiple times onto the vellum and added it using vellum tape. My favorite is the MyStik Vellum Adhesive. It's a permanent bond, and I've never encountered a vellum it didn't hind behind. I simply place a small amount in each of the four corners, adhere the vellum to my cardstock, and then rub the vellum down. As you secure the vellum, all traces of the tape magically disappear! 

I took the typewriter inspiration and ran pretty far with it... using the EK Success Binding Edge Punch to create a notebook style cardstock piece. I then went a little crazy with some Distress Inks.


To distress your paper, tap the tool (with foam) on the Distress Ink Pad of your choice. Starting off the cardstock piece, work in small circles moving toward the center of your paper. Add just a little around the edges, or change the color of your entire piece! 


You could add some specks to your cardstock with black paint and a paintbrush. However, I took my StazOn pad and simply stamped it right onto the cardstock. Lift up, and you should have random ink blots. Don't press down too hard, or you will end up with lines, such as the few shown on the example above.

Here's a look at the assembly and beginnings of the card: 


Now let's add that canvas flower! The Sticky Back Canvas is just a little too thick to work with punches, and unfortunately I didn't have a circle die handy. I improvised and used a circular container. Feel free to use anything you might have available, or download this great template from Tim Holtz. 


Adding Distress Stain and script to the canvas BEFORE cutting the spiral shown in the template is a must! It will save you time, frustration, and canvas. Truuuust me...


As you can see I didn't worry too much about lining up the script background stamp. Once you cut the canvas and assemble the flower, you won't notice the awkward images. In fact, I think it adds to the grunginess of the flower!


I didn't follow the directions that came with the template from Tim Holtz that create a beautiful rose. Instead, I opted for a more thrown-together, uneven flower. To create, remove the backing of the canvas entirely. Pull the tail inward, folding it onto itself and securing it as the center of the flower and your starting point.


Continue wrapping and folding the canvas behind each new layer. It only took me a few seconds, and I played around with each layer until I had a eye-pleasing outcome. 


I used a hot glue gun to secure it to the front of the card and add a Candi embellishment. Note: More script! For the first card I cut out leaves from some cardstock scraps; however, chose to leave them off of the second sample. I created the canvas flower the exact same way, and yet it came out just a little different! So many possibilities!




Hope you've enjoyed today's tutorial and card variations. Head over to the CASE Study Challenge Blog to see what other card makers made using Laurie's inspirations. And don't forget to try out making your own canvas flowers. Happy stamping!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely card! Beautiful flower and the stamping on it!

    Blessings,
    Aleksandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card! And lovely tutorial for the canvas flower! Thanks for sharing this with us at CASE Study Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool design! Love the pop of yellow on this pretty flower. Thank you for playing along with us at CASE Study :)

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs