Experimenting With New Paper & Inks

Thursday, May 24, 2012


Masculine cards are always the hardest to create. This week I pushed myself to create something a little rugged and manly. How do you think it turned out? 


The new Distress Markers from Ranger and Tim Holtz arrived in our store, Creations Galore. After watching a video of Tim demonstrating the markers, I wanted to give water based markers a try. I grabbed a few Tombow markers and a waterbrush, along with this great stamp from Northwoods, and created this scene. 


I've never used any paper other than watercolor with Tombow markers. But using Tim's direction, I took out a piece of Matte Coat cardstock from Paper Cut. It's a dead ringer for the Specialty Stamping Paper (matte coat) that he uses. I was amazed at the watercolor look this technique gave the stamped image... and quite love it. I'll need to try this again soon!

To try this technique without watching the full video (although you should!) squiggle a bit of each color marker on a craft sheet or acrylic block to create a palette. Dip your waterbrush into the ink you wish to use and paint with it. I mixed a few of the colors on the craft sheet as well to get less intense oranges and reds.


I added Tea Dye and Black Soot Distress Ink around the edges with a foam tool. Due to the coated surface of the paper, the Distress Inks became almost metallic yet still rustic. Manly card officially complete! 

CARD SUPPLIES
Cardstock: Paper Cut
Stamp: Northwoods
Inks: StazOn (Jet Black), Tombow Markers, Distress Inks (Black Soot, Tea Dye)
Brads: Gary Berlin (Copper)

TOMBOW PALETTE
Base Green: 249 Hunter Green
Detail Green: 098 Avocado
Wheel: 899 Redwood, 925 Scarlet
Pheasant: 977 Saddle Brown, 847 Crimson, 098 Avocado

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs