Practical Scrappers :: May Layout Sketch

Friday, May 17, 2013

Good morning! I'm here with a new sketch from Liz Chidester for Practical Scrappers, and it's a fun one. Take a look at the great sketch below.


And here's my take on the sketch:

Let me start off by saying that crazy face in the middle picture is indeed crazy. haha My friend, Anna, recently moved to Minneapolis. I headed there with her twin sister to visit, as well as celebrate my birthday. She took me to this fantastic restaurant, The Local. There were semi-secluded rooms and booths to sit in. The picture I snapped of her was her I-don't-know-what-to-order-stressed-out-crazy face. Now, let's break down the page...

I was crazy about the chevron background; however, it just didn't fit with how I envisioned the rest of the layout. So I added some paint splatters in the same pattern across the background paper. I positioned the three photos to mimic the three smaller squares in the sketch. The two black squares of the sketch inspired the square layers behind the photos. I distressed the edges of the patterned papers, but left the awesome Hambly transparency in tact. Rather than the strip behind the photos as shown in the sketch, I adhered a strip of washi tape, as well as a fun sticker border.

I replaced the two arrows in the sketch with these cute triangle cut outs from Ormolu. The stars in the sketch were also replaced with hearts cut out by my Silhouette Cameo. In the picture below, you'll see that I added an additional Ormolu triangle and die cut heart to the top right corner.

I finished off the layout with some fun embellishments in the same color scheme. I love using two different alpha styles on layouts. Magazines and ads are the perfect place for inspiring typography.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Head over to Practical Scrappers to see more layouts using this single sketch. There are so many great designs! If you're playing along with us this month, make sure to post your layout to our Facebook page. We can't wait to see what you create.

 SUPPLIES
Patterned Paper: American Crafts (Dear Lizzy Bowtie Boulevard), Echo Park (Green Lace, Numbers),
Transparency: Hambly (Lattice-Antique Teal Blue)
Spray Ink: A Muse Studio Splash (Winter Sky), Heidi Swapp Color Shine (Gold Lame)
Stickers: Crate Paper (Pretty Party Border Stickers), Tim Holtz (Label Letters), American Crafts (Amy Tangerine Goodness Thickers, Amy Tangerine OrganizeDear Lizzy 5th & Frolic Small Accents & Phrases)
Cut Outs: Ormolu (Made Pennants)
Washi Tape: A Muse Studio (Valentine Collection)
Cardstock: A Muse Studio (Sugar)
Die Cuts: Silhouette America (Silhouette Cameo, Circle Hearts)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs