Practical Scrappers February Layout Sketch

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Hello world, I have an announcement! I LOVE being a part of the Practical Scrappers Design Team. The ladies are talented, encouraging, and just plain amazing. Additionally, the content of the site, the challenges, and the card and layout sketches are out of this world. I've had so much fun contributing to the Practical Scrappers blog, and it's only just begun! If you haven't checked out this great site yet, YOU MUST! But first, take a look at February's layout sketch below created by Liz Chidester:


Is it not the greatest?! Here's my take on the sketch:

When gathering supplies and memorabilia for this page, I didn't plan on having so much journaling. Knowing the end result, I probably would have moved everything up farther on the background paper or incorporated a hidden pocket. Lesson learned! 

Part of my day job includes designing invites and announcements, mostly with future brides. Hoping to expand that area of our business, I grabbed my mother and roommate, Rachael, and we headed to a local wedding show. None of us were planning a wedding. Instead, we were hoping to gather some information about the current market, wedding show set up, and decide if this was the right next step. Even though we were honest about our intentions, many vendors still asked us to sign up for giveaways, threw business cards our way, and let us indulge in free samples. We laughed it off and became experts at saying "No, thank you." However, when it came to pictures with props and delicious cake, we went for it!

I cut the blue circles from patterned paper with scissors, cutting around each doily design. To give some texture and depth to the pieces, I used the Tim Holtz Distressing Tool on the edges.
  
The faux stitching was created with the Sew Stamper by We R Memory Keepers. The black ink was dark and bold. It stood out as a focal point with just one line. Therefore, I added it in a few other places on the page. I added additional doodles with my ZIG Writer, along with flowers and sequins.

The white flower above is from KinderStampO. The flowers are gorgeous, and their soft texture allows them to keep their shape and fit nicely into my albums or an envelope without the extra bulk. 

Head over to the Practical Scrappers blog to see creations from the rest of the Design Team. There are so many creative takes on the sketch!

1 comment:

  1. Love the fun photos and your stitching! Awesome! Love being part of the Practical Scrappers team with you too!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs